Office: 815 CEPSR
I am a PhD Student in Electrical Engineering at Columbia University. I am studying under the advising of Professor Gil Zussman. My current research interests are in computer communication networks, wireless and ad hoc networking, sensor networks, and mobile networks.
[11/26/2013]: My paper, titled “Exploiting Mobility in Proportional Fair Cellular Scheduling: Measurements and Algorithms” was accepted to IEEE INFOCOM 2014 in Toronto (19% acceptance rate)! This work stems from a project completed during my internship and followup collaboration with AT&T Research Labs in New Jersey.
[10/9/2013]: I was nominated by the Department of Electrical Engineering at Columbia for the Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship. This fellowship is incredibly competitive and would fund my education for two years as well as provide a paid internship.
[9/1/2013]: I organized and participated in a poster and demonstration session showcasing the EnHANTs student projects from Summer 2013. Over 100 incoming M.S. students attended.
[4/24/2013]: I was accepted to and will attend the First Internation School on Green Communications and Networking (GreenComNet) this summer on May 28-31 in Boston, Massachusetts.
[4/19/2013]: Following INFOCOM’13, I presented at CTTC in Barcelona work on the design and experimental evaluation of an Energy Harvesting Active Networked Tags testbed, and the design and experimental evaluation of a proportional fair scheduling framework in cellular networks.
[2/15/2013]: At this year’s INFOCOM’13 conference in Turin, Italy, my paper on the EnHANTs testbed was accepted to the mini-conference. Additionally, the EnHANTs demo will appear in the INFOCOM’13 demo session. [Paper PDF]
[5/11/2012]: I received an “EE MS Award of Excellence” which recognizes outstanding academic achievement while persuing a Master of Science in Electrical Engineering at Columbia University. [news item]
[3/03/2012]: Together with the EnHANTs team, I presented the prototype demo at the Science Expo at The School At Columbia University, targeting Kindergarten to Grade 8 students, and their parents. [news item]
[1/17/2012]: For the Spring 2012 semester, I will serve as an instructor for CSEE 4140 – Networking Laboratory.
[11/08/2011]: Along with fellow presenters Maria Gorlatova and Gerald Stanje, we won the Best Student Demo Award for a demo on behalf of the EnHANTs project at the ACM SenSys 2011 conference. [news item] [video]
[04/5/2011]: I recieved the National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Award. This will help fund my graduate studies over the next couple of years! Along with this, I also received a Columbia Egleston Fellowship. [news item]
Columbia University, 2010 – Present
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Degree: Ph.D. Electrical Engineering
- Degree: M.S. Electrical Engineering (Received Oct. 2011), Final GPA: 3.92
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, 2007 – 2010
- Department of Electrical, Computer, and Systems Engineering (ECSE)
- Degree: B.S. Electrical Engineering, Minor in Management Technology Awarded
- Concentration: Communications and Information Processing, Computer Networks
- Final GPA: 4.0 | Summa Cum Laude | 3 years
Honors and Awards
- Columbia Electrical Engineering Master of Science Award of Excellence (2012)
- Best Student Demo Award, ACM SenSys 2011
- NSF Graduate Research Fellow (2011)
- Columbia University Egleston Doctoral Fellow (2011)
- DoD Smart Scholarship Recipient (declined, 2011)
- RPI Palmer C. Rickets Prize for Outstanding Acdemic Success in Electrical Engineering (2010)
- RPI Class of 2010 Academic Achievement Award (2010)
- RPI Honors Convocation 4.0 Award (2010)
- M. Gorlatova, R. Margolies, J. Sarik, G. Stanje, J. Zhu, B. Vigraham, M. Szczodrak, L. Carloni, P. Kinget, I. Kymissis, G. Zussman, “Prototyping Energy Harvesting Active Networked Tags (EnHANTs)”, in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM’13 mini-conference, Turin, Italy, Apr. 2013.
- R. Margolies, L. Pena, K. Kim, Y. Kim, M. Wang, M. Gorlatova, J. Sarik, J. Zhu, P. Kinget, I. Kymissis, and G. Zussman, “An Adaptive Testbed of Energy Harvesting Active Networked Tags (EnHANTs) Prototypes”, in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM’13, Turin, Italy, Apr. 2013.
- J. Sarik, L. Pena, M. Wang, K. Kim, H. Wang, F. Duque, G. Burrow, R. Margolies, M. Gorlatova, B. Vigraham, P. Kinget, I. Kymissis, and G. Zussman, “Demo: Energy Harvesting Active Network Tag (EnHANT) Prototypes and Prototype Testbed”, IDTechEx Energy Harvesting and Storage USA’12, Washington, DC, Nov. 2012 (invited demonstration).
- G. Stanje, P. Miller, J. Zhu, A. Smith, O. Winn, R. Margolies, M. Gorlatova, J. Sarik, M. Szczodrak, B. Vigraham, L. Carloni, P. Kinget, I. Kymissis, and G. Zussman, “Demo: Organic Solar Cell-equipped Energy Harvesting Active Networked Tag (EnHANT) Prototypes” , Proc. ACM SenSys’11, Seattle, WA, November 2011. 2011 ACM SenSys Best Student Demo Award.
- J. Zhu, G. Stanje, R. Margolies, M. Gorlatova, J. Sarik, Z. Noorbhaiwala, P. Miller, M. Szczodrak, B. Vigraham, L. Carloni, P. Kinget, I. Kymissis, and G. Zussman, “Demo: Prototyping UWB-Enabled EnHANTs”, Proc. ACM MobiSys’11, Washington, DC, June 2011.
- R. Margolies, Ashwin Sridharan, Vaneet Aggarwal, Rittwik Jana, N. K. Shankaranarayanan, Vinay Vaishampayan, Gil Zussman. “Exploiting Mobility in Proportional Fair Cellular Scheduling: Measurements and Algorithms”, Columbia University Electrical Engineering Technical Report #2013-07-28, July 2013.
- M. Gorlatova, R. Margolies, J. Sarik, G. Stanje, J. Zhu, B. Vigraham, M. Szczodrak, L. Carloni, P. Kinget, I. Kymissis, G. Zussman, “Energy Harvesting Active Networked Tags (EnHANTs): Prototyping and Experimentation”, Columbia University Electrical Engineering Technical Report #2012-07-27, July 2012.
- V. Aggarwal, R. Jana, H. Karloff, R. Margolies, N. K. Shankaranarayanan, A. Sridharan, V. Vaishampayan, G. Zussman, “Framework and methods for proportional fair cellular scheduling with channel quality predictions”, US Patent Pending, Oct., 2013.
- CSEE 4140 - Networking Laboratory (Columbia University, Spring 2012)
- CSEE W4119 – Computer Networking (Columbia University, Summer 2012)
- CSEE W4119 – Computer Networking (Columbia University, Fall 2011)
- ENGR 2350 – Laboratory Introduction to Embedded Control (RPI, Fall 2009)
- Introduction to Stochastics, Fall 2010
- Deterministic Models, Fall 2010
- Analysis of Algorithms, Fall 2010
- Computer Communication Networks, Spring 2011
- Network Optimization, Spring 2011
- Modern Analysis, Spring 2011
- Stochastic Modeling I, Fall 2011
- Deterministic Scheduling Models, Fall 2011
- Wireless and Mobile Networking, Fall 2011
- Information Theory, Spring 2013
- Approximation Algorithms, Spring 2013