Alon S. Levin
NDSEG Fellow and Columbia University Byron Fellow
Office: 801 CEPSR
Alon S. Levin received a B.Eng. in Electrical Engineering (magna cum laude) in 2020 and a M.Eng. in Electrical Engineering in 2021, both from The Cooper Union. His research interests are in compressed sensing, PHY layer algorithms, cognitive radio, and network security.[Curriculum Vitae]
- Ph.D in Electrical Engineering, September 2021 – Present
- Advisor: Prof. Gil Zussman
The Cooper Union
- M.E. in Electrical Engineering (2021)
- Advisor: Prof. Fred Fontaine
Thesis: “Hierarchical Semantic Segmentation of Histopathological Whole Slide Images by Means of Sparse Dictionary Learning”
- Advisor: Prof. Fred Fontaine
- B.E. in Electrical Engineering (2020)
- GPA: 3.77 (Magna cum laude)
Honors and Awards
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship (2022)
- Columbia Engineering Byron Fellowship (2022)
- Radio Club of America Scholarship Award – Barone-DeBlasi-Facella Fund (2020)
- IEEE-HKN, Delta Chi (2019 – 2021)
- Chapter Vice President
- Tau Beta Pi, New York Iota (2019 – 2021)
- Chapter Corresponding Secretary
- Invention Factory Best Invention Award – Second Prize (2017)
- Cooper Union Dean’s List (2016 – 2020)
- Cooper Union Innovator Merit Scholarship (2016 – 2020)
Demos and Presentations
- Igor Kadota*, Alon S. Levin*, Bo Zhang*, Sasank Garikapati, Aditya Jolly, Manav Kohli, Tingjun Chen, Mingoo Seok, Harish Krishnaswamy, and Gil Zussman, “Adaptive Configuration of a Variable-Gain, Variable-Delay Self-Interference Canceller for a Full-Duplex System,” DARPA MTO WARP End of Phase Review, Fort Worth, TX, Jun. 2022. (* indicate equal contributions)
- Alon S. Levin, Igor Kadota, Sasank Garikapati, Harish Krishnaswamy, and Gil Zussman, “Adaptive Configuration of a Variable-Gain, Variable-Delay Self-Interference Canceller for Full-Duplex Wireless,” presented at Columbia Data Science Day, Columbia University, New York, NY, Apr. 2022.
Industry and Project Experience
Security & Controls Intern, ExxonMobil Research & Engineering (Summer 2020)
- Established a centralized logging system to aggregate security logs, antivirus activity, and critical event data across all machines on processing plants’ L3 computer networks.
- Automated cybersecurity analysis techniques to increase the efficiency of security event investigation processes.
- Developed forensic monitoring and reporting protocols for industrial control systems.
Senior Capstone Project, The Cooper Union (Fall 2019 – Spring 2020)
- Collaborated with the laboratory of Dr. Gaby Maimon at Rockefeller University in designing a near real-time computer vision and digital image processing algorithm to identify active compass-heading glomeruli in neural scans of flies.
- Led three-person team as primary algorithm designer to produce viable proof-of-concept, meeting all hardware constraints.
NSF REU Fellow, New York Institute of Technology (Summer 2019)
- Worked with Dr. Anand Santhanakrishnan to design a statistical model for inter-user relationships in the context of heterogeneous networks to investigate the impact of net neutrality on the churning rates of internet service providers.
- Simulated a 20-user, 20-ISP heterogeneous network both in the presence of and absence of net neutrality.