Office: 813 CEPSR
Varun Gupta completed his undergraduate studies in Electrical Engineering at IIT Delhi and received his M.S. in Electrical Engineering at Columbia University in October 2012. He is currently working towards his Ph.D. at Columbia University. His research interests include network performance evaluation, stochastic modeling, wireless networks, and datacenter networks.
- Ph.D. Candidate, Electrical Engineering Fall 2012 – Present
- Research Interests: Wireless and Datacenter Networks and Systems, Video Streaming, Online Algorithms
- Advisor: Prof. Gil Zussman
- M.S., Electrical Engineering Sept. 2011 – Oct. 2012
- Selected Coursework: Stochastic Processes, Probability Theory, Analysis, Optimization, Graph Theory, Graph Based Algorithms, Complexity
Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, India
- B. Tech., Electrical Engineering July 2007 – May 2011
- Interest Areas: Image Processing, Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition, 3D Videos
- Thesis: Wide Angle 3D TV, Advisor: Prof. Santanu Chaudhary
Awards & Honors
- IEEE INFOCOM’17 Best Paper Runner Up Award, 2017.
- NYC Media Lab Combine Program Grant, 9 groups selected out of 60 applicants for $25,000 funding to evaluate the commercialization potential of research results, 2016.
- Second prize for the AMuSe project demo, NYC Media Lab Annual Summit, 2015.
- Best Major Project Thesis, Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Delhi 2011.
- ÉGIDE Scholarship by French Govt. for one semester of academic/cultural exchange program at Écoles Des Mines, Nancy, France 2009.
- Merit certificate for being in top 7% of undergraduate class 2008.
- Scholarship for Undergraduate Studies by Central Board of Secondary Education, Delhi 2007.
- Indian National Physics Olympiad Gold Medal in National Physics Olympiad. 2007.
- Among national top 1% in National Chemistry Olympiad 2007.
- Secured All India rank 145 in All India IIT Joint Entrance Examination 2007.
- Ranked 151 nationally in All India Engineering Entrance Examination 2007.
- Y. Bejerano, C. Raman, C.N. Yu, V. Gupta, C. Gutterman, T. Young, H. Infante, Y. Abdelmalek, and G. Zussman, “DyMo: Dynamic Monitoring of Large Scale LTE-Multicast Systems.” in Proc. INFOCOM’17, 2017 (Best Paper Runner-Up) [pdf].
- Y. Bejerano, V. Gupta, C. Gutterman, and G. Zussman, “AMuSe: Adaptive Multicast Services to very large groups – Project overview,” in Proc. ICCCN’16 (invited), 2016. [pdf]
- V. Gupta, C. Gutterman, Y. Bejerano, and G. Zussman, “Experimental evaluation of large scale WiFi multicast rate control,” in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM’16, 2016. [pdf][slides]
- P. Samadi, V. Gupta, B. Birand, H. Wang, R. Jensen, G. Zussman, and K. Bergman, “Software-addressable optical accelerators for data-intensive applications in cluster-computing platforms,” in Proc. ECOC’14, 2014. [pdf]
- Y. Bejerano, J. Ferragut, K. Guo, V. Gupta, C. Gutterman, T. Nandagopal, G. Zussman, “Experimental Evaluation of a Scalable WiFi Multicast Scheme in the ORBIT Testbed”, in Proc. GENI Research and Educational Experiment Workshop (GREE’14), Atlanta, GA, Mar. 2014. (invited) [pdf][slides]
- Y. Bejerano, J. Ferragut, K. Guo, V. Gupta, C. Gutterman, T. Nandagopal, G. Zussman, “Scalable WiFi Multicast Services for Very Large Groups”, In Proc. IEEE ICNP’13, Göttingen, Germany, Oct. 2013. [pdf][slides]
- P. Samadi, V. Gupta, J. Xu, H. Wang, G. Zussman, and K. Bergman, “Optical Multicast System for Data Center Networks,”Optics Express, vol. 23, no. 17, pp. 22162–22180, Aug. 2015. [pdf]
- V. Gupta, Y. Bejerano, C. Gutterman, J. Ferragut, K. Guo, T. Nandagopal, and G. Zussman, “Light-weight feedback mechanism for WiFi multicast to very large groups – experimental evaluation,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 3826–3840, Dec. 2016. [pdf]
Posters, Demonstrations, and Workshops (Peer Reviewed)
- V. Gupta, L. Xu, B. Wu, C. Gutterman, Y. Bejerano, and G. Zussman, “Evaluating Video Delivery over Wireless Multicast,” in Demo at IEEE INFOCOM’17, 2017. [pdf]
- V. Gupta, R. Norwitz, S. Petridis, C. Gutterman, G. Zussman, and Y. Bejerano, “AMuSe: Large-scale WiFi Video Distribution – Experimentation on the ORBIT Testbed,” in Demo at IEEE INFOCOM’16, 2016. [pdf]
- V. Gupta, R. Norwitz, S. Petridis, C. Gutterman, G. Zussman, and Y. Bejerano, “WiFi multicast to very large groups – experimentation on the ORBIT testbed,” in Demo at IEEE LCN’15, 2015. [pdf]
- P. Samadi, V. Gupta, B. Birand, H. Wang, G. Zussman, and K. Bergman, “Accelerating incast and multicast traffic delivery for data-intensive applications using physical layer optics,” in Poster description in Proc. ACM SIGCOMM’14, 2014.
- V. Gupta, C. Gutterman, Y. Bejerano, and G. Zussman, “Experimental evaluation of large scale WiFi multicast rate control,” in arXiv:1601.06425 [cs.NI], Jan. 2016. [pdf]
Y. Bejerano, C. Raman, C.-N. Yu, V. Gupta, C. Gutterman, T. Young, H. Infante, Y. Abdelmalek, and G. Zussman, “DyMo: Dynamic Monitoring of large scale LTE-multicast systems,” in arXiv:1701.02809 [cs.NI], Jan. 2017 [pdf].
Intern, Google, Mountainview, CA
- Platforms Networking September 2014 – December 2014
My research focused on developing congestion control algorithms for datacenter networks.
Intern, Microsoft Research, India
- Mobility, Networks, and Systems June 2014 – August 2014
Intern, Bell Labs, Alcatel Lucent, Murray Hill, NJ, USA
- Enabling Computing Technologies June 2013 – August 2013
Developed a framework for efficiently sending multicast traffic over WiFi networks in crowded areas while ensuring reliability. Implemented algorithms to provide feedback to multicast controller in multicast settings. Experimented in large scale real settings on the ORBIT testbed with 400 WiFi nodes.
- Intern, Google, India, Video Processing Research Group May 2011 – July 2011
- Intern, IBM Research, India, Service Delivery and Business Analytics May 2010 – July 2010
Talks and Demos
- “Cross-Layer Design and Algorithms for Wireless and Datacenter Networks”, AT&T Labs and Bell Labs, Nov. 2016.
- “AMuSe – Content Delivery in Crowded Areas Through WiFi Multicast”, IEEE NYC Area Communications Society, New York, NY, Oct. 2016 (invited talk).
- “Interactive Adaptive Video Streaming on Smartphones”, NYC Media Lab Annual Summit, New York, NY, Sept. 2016 (demo).
- “AMuSe – Content Delivery in Crowded Areas Through WiFi Multicast”, NYC Media Lab Combine Demo Day, New York, NY, April 2016 (talk).
- “Large Scale Video Delivery over WiFi”, NSF Center for Integrated Access Networks (CIAN), March 2016 (invited webinar).
- “Large Scale Video Delivery over WiFi”, Columbia University Data Science Institute, New York, NY, March 2016 (demo).
- “WiFi Multicast to Very Large Groups – Experimentation on the ORBIT Testbed”, GENI NICE, San Francisco, CA, Nov. 2015 (demo).
- “Wireless Multimedia Content Delivery to Very Large Groups”, NSF Center for Integrated Access Networks (CIAN) Annual Retreat, La Jolla, CA, Nov. 2015 (talk).
- “AMuSe – Content Delivery in Crowded Areas Through WiFi Multicast”, Razorfish Innovation Summit, New York, NY, Sept. 2015 (invited demo).
- “AMuSe – Content Delivery in Crowded Areas Through WiFi Multicast”, NYC Media Lab Snnual Summit, New York, NY, Sept. 2015 (demo).
Instructor, Networking Laboratory, Columbia University Spring 2015
- Taught and organized a class where networking concepts are demonstrated in a laboratory setting through hands on experimentation.
Teaching Assistant, Digital Communications, Columbia University Fall 2012
- Assisted senior undergraduate/graduate level students in a course in Digital Communications.
- Responsible for coordinating the course, holding review sessions and grading.
Teaching Assistant, Digital Communications, Columbia University Fall 2011
- Coordinated the on-campus course. Helped students enrolled in the Columbia Video Network (CVN) for distance learning and held one-on-one tutoring sessions.
Teaching Assistant, Computer Architecture, IIT Delhi Spring 2011
- Selected as one of the undergraduate students for academic excellence to teach sophomore level classes. Responsible for holding review sessions, office hours and grading