Office: 813 CEPSR
Varun Gupta completed his undergraduate studies in Electrical Engineering at IIT Delhi and received his M.S. in Electrical Engineering at Columbia University in October 2012. He is currently working towards his Ph.D. at Columbia University. His research interests include network performance evaluation, stochastic modeling, wireless networks, and datacenter networks.
[9/8/13]: I will be attending the 2013 CIAN retreat at Manhattan Beach, CA from October 14th to October 15th, 2013.
[9/1/13]: Our paper titled “Scalable WiFi Multicast Services for Very Large Groups” was accepted in IEEE ICNP’13 to be held in October 2013 at Göttingen, Germany.
[5/17/13]: This summer I will be visiting Bell Labs, Murray Hill, NJ under the ECT (Enabling Computing Technologies) domain, working with Dr. Yigal Bejerano and Dr. Katherine Guo.
- Ph.D. Candidate, Electrical Engineering Fall 2012 – Present
- Research Interests: Wireless and Mobile Networking, Stochastic Modeling, Data Center Network Design, Optimization
- Advisor: Prof. Gil Zussman
- M.S., Electrical Engineering Sept. 2011 – Oct. 2012
- Selected Coursework: Stochastic Processes, Probability Theory, Analysis, Optimization, Graph Theory, Graph Based Algorithms, Complexity
Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, India
- B. Tech., Electrical Engineering July 2007 – May 2011
- Interest Areas: Image Processing, Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition, 3D Videos
- Thesis: Wide Angle 3D TV, Advisor: Prof. Santanu Chaudhary
Awards & Honors
- Best Major Project Thesis, Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Delhi 2011.
- ÉGIDE Scholarship by French Govt. for one semester of academic/cultural exchange program at Écoles Des Mines, Nancy, France 2009.
- Merit certificate for being in top 7% of undergraduate class 2008.
- Scholarship for Undergraduate Studies by Central Board of Secondary Education, Delhi 2007.
- Indian National Physics Olympiad Gold Medal in National Physics Olympiad. 2007.
- Among national top 1% in National Chemistry Olympiad 2007.
- Secured All India rank 145 in All India IIT Joint Entrance Examination 2007.
- Ranked 151 nationally in All India Engineering Entrance Examination 2007.
- Y. Bejerano, J. Ferragut, K. Guo, V. Gupta, C. Gutterman, T. Nandagopal, G. Zussman, “Scalable WiFi Multicast Services for Very Large Groups”, In Proc. IEEE ICNP’13, Göttingen, Germany, Oct. 2013. [pdf]
- Y. Bejerano, J. Ferragut, K. Guo, V. Gupta, C. Gutterman, T. Nandagopal, G. Zussman, “Experimental Evaluation of a Scalable WiFi Multicast Scheme in the ORBIT Testbed”, To appear in Proc. GENI Research and Educational Experiment Workshop (GREE’14), Atlanta, GA, Mar. 2014. (invited).
Intern, Bell Labs, Alcatel Lucent, Murray Hill, NJ, USA
- Enabling Computing Technologies June 2013 – August 2013
Developed a framework for efficiently sending multicast traffic over WiFi networks in crowded areas while ensuring reliability. Implemented algorithms to provide feedback to multicast controller in multicast settings. Experimented in large scale real settings on the ORBIT testbed with 400 WiFi nodes.
Intern, Google Inc, Bengaluru, India
- Video Processing Research Group May 2011 – July 2011
Studied and experimented with new algorithms for conversion of 2D videos to 3D using spatio-temporal information flow in the video. Designed algorithms and techniques for video flow analysis using fast video segmentation, stereo information from color and from object boundary tracking.
Intern, IBM Research, Bengaluru, India
- Service Delivery and Business Analytics May 2010 – July 2010
Conceptualized tools for improving business process flows and enterprise decision-making using analytics and optimization. Designed an automatic, large-scale data capture system. Used natural language based information extraction and clustering techniques for information aggregation and analysis. Implemented a pilot project across the service floor.
Teaching Assistant, Digital Communications, Columbia University Fall 2012
- Assisted senior undergraduate/graduate level students in a course in Digital Communications.
- Responsible for coordinating the course, holding review sessions and grading.
Teaching Assistant, Digital Communications, Columbia University Fall 2011
- Coordinated the on-campus course. Helped students enrolled in the Columbia Video Network (CVN) for distance learning and held one-on-one tutoring sessions.
Teaching Assistant, Computer Architecture, IIT Delhi Spring 2011
- Selected as one of the undergraduate students for academic excellence to teach sophomore level classes. Responsible for holding review sessions, office hours and grading