Office: 813 CEPSR
Varun Gupta completed his undergraduate studies in Electrical Engineering at IIT Delhi and received his M.S. in Electrical Engineering at Columbia University in October 2012. He is currently working towards his Ph.D. at Columbia University. His research interests include network performance evaluation, stochastic modeling, wireless networks, and datacenter networks.
- Ph.D. Candidate, Electrical Engineering Fall 2012 – Present
- Research Interests: Wireless and Mobile Networking, Stochastic Modeling, Data Center Network Design, Optimization
- Advisor: Prof. Gil Zussman
- M.S., Electrical Engineering Sept. 2011 – Oct. 2012
- Selected Coursework: Stochastic Processes, Probability Theory, Analysis, Optimization, Graph Theory, Graph Based Algorithms, Complexity
Indian Institute of Technology Delhi, India
- B. Tech., Electrical Engineering July 2007 – May 2011
- Interest Areas: Image Processing, Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition, 3D Videos
- Thesis: Wide Angle 3D TV, Advisor: Prof. Santanu Chaudhary
Awards & Honors
- Best Major Project Thesis, Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Delhi 2011.
- ÉGIDE Scholarship by French Govt. for one semester of academic/cultural exchange program at Écoles Des Mines, Nancy, France 2009.
- Merit certificate for being in top 7% of undergraduate class 2008.
- Scholarship for Undergraduate Studies by Central Board of Secondary Education, Delhi 2007.
- Indian National Physics Olympiad Gold Medal in National Physics Olympiad. 2007.
- Among national top 1% in National Chemistry Olympiad 2007.
- Secured All India rank 145 in All India IIT Joint Entrance Examination 2007.
- Ranked 151 nationally in All India Engineering Entrance Examination 2007.
- V. Gupta, C. Gutterman, Y. Bejerano, and G. Zussman, “Experimental evaluation of large scale WiFi multicast rate control,” in Proc. IEEE INFOCOM’16 (to appear), 2016. [pdf]
- P. Samadi, V. Gupta, B. Birand, H. Wang, R. Jensen, G. Zussman, and K. Bergman, “Software-addressable optical accelerators for data-intensive applications in cluster-computing platforms,” in Proc. ECOC’14, 2014. [pdf]
- Y. Bejerano, J. Ferragut, K. Guo, V. Gupta, C. Gutterman, T. Nandagopal, G. Zussman, “Scalable WiFi Multicast Services for Very Large Groups”, In Proc. IEEE ICNP’13, Göttingen, Germany, Oct. 2013. [pdf]
- P. Samadi, V. Gupta, J. Xu, H. Wang, G. Zussman, and K. Bergman, “Optical Multicast System for Data Center Networks,”Optics Express, vol. 23, no. 17, pp. 22162–22180, Aug. 2015. [pdf]
- V. Gupta, Y. Bejerano, C. Gutterman, J. Ferragut, K. Guo, T. Nandagopal, and G. Zussman, “Light-weight feedback mechanism for WiFi multicast to very large groups – experimental evaluation,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (to appear), 2016. [pdf]
Posters, Demonstrations, and Workshops
- V. Gupta, R. Norwitz, S. Petridis, C. Gutterman, G. Zussman, and Y. Bejerano, “AMuSe: Large-scale WiFi Video Distribution – Experimentation on the ORBIT Testbed,” in Demo at IEEE INFOCOM’16, 2016. [pdf]
- V. Gupta, R. Norwitz, S. Petridis, C. Gutterman, G. Zussman, and Y. Bejerano, “WiFi multicast to very large groups – experimentation on the ORBIT testbed,” in Demo at IEEE LCN’15, 2015. [pdf]
- P. Samadi, V. Gupta, B. Birand, H. Wang, G. Zussman, and K. Bergman, “Accelerating incast and multicast traffic delivery for data-intensive applications using physical layer optics,” in Poster description in Proc. ACM SIGCOMM’14, 2014.
- Y. Bejerano, J. Ferragut, K. Guo, V. Gupta, C. Gutterman, T. Nandagopal, G. Zussman, “Experimental Evaluation of a Scalable WiFi Multicast Scheme in the ORBIT Testbed”, To appear in Proc. GENI Research and Educational Experiment Workshop (GREE’14), Atlanta, GA, Mar. 2014. (invited).
- V. Gupta, C. Gutterman, Y. Bejerano, and G. Zussman, “Experimental evaluation of large scale WiFi multicast rate control,” in arXiv:1601.06425 [cs.NI], Jan. 2016. [pdf]
Intern, Google, Mountainview, CA
- Platforms Networking September 2014 – December 2014
My research focused on developing congestion control algorithms for datacenter networks.
Intern, Microsoft Research, India
- Mobility, Networks, and Systems June 2014 – August 2014
Intern, Bell Labs, Alcatel Lucent, Murray Hill, NJ, USA
- Enabling Computing Technologies June 2013 – August 2013
Developed a framework for efficiently sending multicast traffic over WiFi networks in crowded areas while ensuring reliability. Implemented algorithms to provide feedback to multicast controller in multicast settings. Experimented in large scale real settings on the ORBIT testbed with 400 WiFi nodes.
- Intern, Google, India, Video Processing Research Group May 2011 – July 2011
- Intern, IBM Research, India, Service Delivery and Business Analytics May 2010 – July 2010
Instructor, Networking Laboratory, Columbia University Spring 2015
- Taught and organized a class where networking concepts are demonstrated in a laboratory setting through hands on experimentation.
Teaching Assistant, Digital Communications, Columbia University Fall 2012
- Assisted senior undergraduate/graduate level students in a course in Digital Communications.
- Responsible for coordinating the course, holding review sessions and grading.
Teaching Assistant, Digital Communications, Columbia University Fall 2011
- Coordinated the on-campus course. Helped students enrolled in the Columbia Video Network (CVN) for distance learning and held one-on-one tutoring sessions.
Teaching Assistant, Computer Architecture, IIT Delhi Spring 2011
- Selected as one of the undergraduate students for academic excellence to teach sophomore level classes. Responsible for holding review sessions, office hours and grading